Welcome to the home page and official web site of the Universal Measurement System (UMS). UMS was created in 1978 by Jeff Rand and Doug Wilson. Since they're pioneering efforts a great deal of work has gone into expanding and updating the system. Most of the additional effort has come from Mark Bollman, PhD.
This site will explain the reasons for the UMS and, more importantly, provide resources to allow the use of UMS in your daily life.
On the site
The site has a number of features to help you as you being to convert from the stodgy Imperial or flawed Metric systems to UMS:
- UMS Units
- An introduction to the basic units of the Universal Measurement System.
- Other Units
- A sometimes comical look at units in other measurement systems.
- Approximate conversions of common values to their UMS equivalent.
- Tools to convert units from one system to another. Includes conversions from Universal, Imperial and Metric systems.
- History of UMS
- A brief history of the UMS including significant advancements.
- Other sites which use, endorse, or mention the Universal Measurement System.
- Comments on UMS and this site.
- Other measurement related sites.
- The latest news on UMS and this site.